Fletcher Free Library is proud to participate in 1000 Books Before Kindergarten. This nationwide initiative encourages reading to infants, toddlers, and preschoolers to foster a love of books and prepare them for school.
How Does It Work?
- Register your child (online or in person), then pick up your 1000 Books reading log at the youth desk. You can also print the log sheets at home (pdf) or use the 1000 Books app (iOS) to track your reading.
- Read a book (any book!) to your child. Fletcher Free Library offers curated 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Book Bags which you may borrow. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. That’s 730 books in two years, and 1095 books in three years. If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think!
- Get social! Share your 1000 Books journey on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #FFL1000Books.
What Do I Do?
- Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding--and it’s fun!
- Every time you read a book with your child, help your child color in a book on their log sheet.
- Optional: keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Convenient “Books I’ve Read” log sheets are included in the reading log book.
- If you are able to, make sure to keep a record of any book that is being read to your child. This includes books read by teachers, caregivers and siblings.
- Bring your child to the library with their reading log book at each milestone (after every 50 books) for a special achievement sticker.
Do I Have to Read 1000 Different Books?
- No! In fact, children benefit from hearing a book over and over again. But if you need some variety, ask your librarian for recommendations.
- Feel free to call or visit the Fletcher Free Library for book suggestions and a library card: 802.865.7216.
"Books I've Read" Log Sheet (pdf)
Numbered Log Sheets
- 1-50 (pdf), 51-100 (pdf)
- 101-150 (pdf), 151-200 (pdf)
- 201-250 (pdf), 251-300 (pdf)
- 301-350 (pdf), 351-400 (pdf)
- 401-450 (pdf), 451-500 (pdf)
- 501-550 (pdf), 551-600 (pdf)
- 601-650 (pdf), 651-700 (pdf)
- 701-750 (pdf), 751-800 (pdf)
- 801-850 (pdf), 851-900 (pdf)
- 901-950 (pdf), 951-1000 (pdf)
1000 Books Before Kindergarten at Fletcher Free Library is made possible through support from Vermont Community Foundation's Spark! Grant.