Volunteers in our Early Literacy Outreach Program bring stories, music, and educational fun to enrich the experiences of children and home daycare providers.
The Fletcher Free Library developed the Early Literacy Outreach Program (ELOP) in response to the concern of inequity in kindergarten readiness, the desire to reach early learners unable to come to the library, and the struggles of working women in our community. The goal of the program is to address the need for early literacy education in child cares.
- This program uses curriculum-based early literacy lesson plans to support kindergarten readiness for children ages 0-5 years in Burlington’s home childcares.
- Volunteers not only help children develop foundational skills, but form lasting relationships with providers, children, and families!
- Our first corps of volunteers began visiting 10 home childcares in Burlington in March of 2019.
- ELOP has partnered with the Burlington School District's Parent University to provide literacy support to children of participants.
- New ELOP Art Kits deliver art activities to Burlington's home child care providers, including extension opportunities and tips for connecting early literacy with art and creative expression.
To request more information, contact program coordinator Rebecca Thompson by email at email@example.com or by phone at 802.498.5976