September 27 - October 3
What is Banned Books Week?
Banned Books Week is an annual event honoring the freedom to read, with an emphasis on free and open access to information. By focusing on efforts across the country to restrict or remove access to some books, Banned Books Week draws attention to the harms of censorship.
Events at the Fletcher Free Library during Banned Books Week 2020
- Join us on the Library Lawn Wednesday, September 30th between 3pm and 6pm for Warning! A Banned Books Community Reading of recent and past challenged books, by community members including author Tanya Lee Stone (reading from her own banned book), Mike DeSanto, owner of Phoenix Books, retired principal, Amy Mellencamp and many more...
- Ask for some bonus Banned Books Week selections when you request your Mystery Bag!
Explore our Banned Books Week Reading Room by clicking on the images for links to videos, articles, catalog links and more!
Recommended virtual events for Banned Books Week:
- Join Creator Gene Luen Yang, Live with Banned Books Week and NCTE! (Mon 9/28)
- PORTUGAL. THE MAN, Live with Banned Books Week & NCAC! (Tue 9/29)
- Don’t Miss Alex Gino, Live with Banned Books Week and ALA OIF! (Wed 9/30)